My South Island trip part two!

Hello again! Here is part two of my trip around the South Island with my family earlier this year.  Make sure you check out part one before reading this.
http://meganslittleblogspace.blogspot.co.nz/2016/01/my-south-island-trip-part-one.html

After we spent time exploring around Queenstown we headed off towards Fox Glacier. We arose early that morning as we had a long journey ahead of us.  Although I had a book in hand I felt the need to have my eyes glued to the view outside the car window the entire journey.  

We passed the beautifully clear, blue waters of the Kawarua river and witnessed some shot over jet boat rides and bungy jumps. We also saw the beautiful sights if Mount Aspiring National Park, Mount Cook National Park and Haast Past.   The area surrounding Mount Cook and through that part of the Southern Alps is called the glacier region due to its many glaciers.  Most famously is the Franz Joseph glacier and Fox Glacier.  We visited Fox Glaicer and stayed in the Fox Glacier Lodge which was incredibly welcoming and cosy.  

We walked to the Fox Glacier which was about an hour walk return for us (although we did have quite a few photo stops.)  We were slightly disappointed that we couldn't see a lot of the glacier from the top of the walk but still enjoyed the fresh air and the beautiful landscape surrounding us.

Me on the lookout down to Kawarua river and the shot over jets.

Shot over jets



Mount Aspiring


The glacier face


Fox Glacier


View near Haast past


Mum and I by Fox Glacier


Sunset in Fox Glacier

After staying the night in Fox Glaicer we headed towards Greymouth to catch a train from Greymouth to Christchurch.  We passed through glacier areas and saw some beautiful scenery on the way through.

View in Franz Jospeh
 

The train was around four hours long and we arrived in Christchurch late afternoon.  We headed towards our hotel to settle in and then made our way to have a bite to eat.  We stayed in the Christchurch city central which was to our suprise quite deserted.  There were many blank fields and abandoned buildings as the central city was hit the hardest during the earthquake. 

There were a lot of artwork painted on the walls of the abandoned buildings as an attempt to enliven the city up after the earthquake.  We spent two nights in Christchurch exploring the city before we flew home.  We managed to take a tram tour around the city and visit the botanical gardens, the Canterbury mueseum and the Christchurch cathedral. 

The Christchurch cathedral 


Artwork in Christchurch 


Tram we hopped on


Old Spanish street


The white chairs to commemorate those who passed in the quakes


The botanical gardens




So there is part two of my visit in The South Island.  I hope you enjoyed the series of posts I did on my trip.  I have now arrived in England and will be travelling to France in the next couple days.  I visited London yesterday and I still have my Europe travel bucketlist to post so stay tuned!

Love you all,
Till next time, 
Megan Cook.

Follow for more of me! Also Feel free to give my Instagram a little follow while you're at it.
Instagram: _megan_cook1_




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buenos Aires! South America Trip Day Two! 😄

Iguazu Falls! South America Trip Day Five 😄

Buenos Aires! South Ameria Trip Day Four 😄